So this February I just got a Traxxas E-maxx... and I've used it all of 4 times when I decided it needed a rebuild 8D
I took the entire thing apart, engine, tranny, front/rear diff, all the axles for the arms. Cleaned everything up and put it back together. A couple of things that gave me some trouble or took a lot of time were the diffs!
I didn't know there were actual insides... I thought it was just this thing

And then... after re-assembling the front diff and dis-assemlbing the rear... I noticed these four screws... low and behold

There's hella more gears and a shit load of grease. It prolly takes me a couple of hours to do both diffs.

After I put the 50k weight diff lock fluid in them... re-assemble put everything back (prolly took about 4 hours to reassemble everything cuz I had to refer to the diagrams to figure out where each screw went back!). I started working on my shocks. Now the jato shock covers came with lower shock covers.

It took me a while to realize that the rod ends of the shocks could be un-screwed... Good thing I had this special tool handy!

Ok... it's just a needle nose plier with some electrical tape... but it worked!
So I unscrewed the rod ends and put on the cap. Doh! The jato shock cap has this HUGE gap even with the shock covers on.

The top one is the stock shock cap with jatos and the bottom one is the one with jato shock cap & shock cover.
I decided... man I am just gonna modify the stock covers to make the jato shock covers fit better. A little sand paper and 20 minutes later... here's my creation!
http://img159.imageshack.us/content.php?page=done&l=img159/3944/jatoshockmodside8rz.jpg
Much better... Now i just dumped out all the old fluid, washed and dryed it and filled it with the new trinity 50wt shock fluid.

After a days worth of work... I think I finshed everything around 4am on Sunday morning. Slept till 4pm... put my shocks back on. Ran my truck for like 4 minutes when I hit a jump flipped my car like a gazillion times... It happend to land right side up after rolling, so I limped it back to me. It looked fine at first inspection... so I kept playing for a while. THen I noticed... why the heck is my truck hell leaning? Drove it back to me and saw that the shock caps blew off! DOH!

Go back into the house... remove the 2 broken shocks... clean, rebuild (good thing I didn't use any parts from the shock rebuild kit till then cuz I lost some of the parts). Put it back together... ate dinner and ran my truck again. This time I was playing for a good 15 minutes (still on my GP3700 packs)... when I noticed that there was some fluid leaking. DOH! I blew one of the shocks again! I look and it was one of the ones I just rebuilt! Dang it! took off the shock cleaned everything up... and noticed the crack!

Ah man! I can't even run the truck no more. So now... it brings you up to the present... me just sitting here lookin' at my truck :'(
Ok.. actually I am lookin' for some aluminum shocks!
I took the entire thing apart, engine, tranny, front/rear diff, all the axles for the arms. Cleaned everything up and put it back together. A couple of things that gave me some trouble or took a lot of time were the diffs!
I didn't know there were actual insides... I thought it was just this thing

And then... after re-assembling the front diff and dis-assemlbing the rear... I noticed these four screws... low and behold

There's hella more gears and a shit load of grease. It prolly takes me a couple of hours to do both diffs.

After I put the 50k weight diff lock fluid in them... re-assemble put everything back (prolly took about 4 hours to reassemble everything cuz I had to refer to the diagrams to figure out where each screw went back!). I started working on my shocks. Now the jato shock covers came with lower shock covers.

It took me a while to realize that the rod ends of the shocks could be un-screwed... Good thing I had this special tool handy!

Ok... it's just a needle nose plier with some electrical tape... but it worked!
So I unscrewed the rod ends and put on the cap. Doh! The jato shock cap has this HUGE gap even with the shock covers on.

The top one is the stock shock cap with jatos and the bottom one is the one with jato shock cap & shock cover.
I decided... man I am just gonna modify the stock covers to make the jato shock covers fit better. A little sand paper and 20 minutes later... here's my creation!
http://img159.imageshack.us/content.php?page=done&l=img159/3944/jatoshockmodside8rz.jpg
Much better... Now i just dumped out all the old fluid, washed and dryed it and filled it with the new trinity 50wt shock fluid.

After a days worth of work... I think I finshed everything around 4am on Sunday morning. Slept till 4pm... put my shocks back on. Ran my truck for like 4 minutes when I hit a jump flipped my car like a gazillion times... It happend to land right side up after rolling, so I limped it back to me. It looked fine at first inspection... so I kept playing for a while. THen I noticed... why the heck is my truck hell leaning? Drove it back to me and saw that the shock caps blew off! DOH!

Go back into the house... remove the 2 broken shocks... clean, rebuild (good thing I didn't use any parts from the shock rebuild kit till then cuz I lost some of the parts). Put it back together... ate dinner and ran my truck again. This time I was playing for a good 15 minutes (still on my GP3700 packs)... when I noticed that there was some fluid leaking. DOH! I blew one of the shocks again! I look and it was one of the ones I just rebuilt! Dang it! took off the shock cleaned everything up... and noticed the crack!

Ah man! I can't even run the truck no more. So now... it brings you up to the present... me just sitting here lookin' at my truck :'(
Ok.. actually I am lookin' for some aluminum shocks!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home