Iria's Memorial Day - February 20th

In Mid-February 2010, I had to bring Iria to the vet. She was very lethargic and little to no appetite. Her gums were very pale, so they knew something was seriously wrong. They performed an ultrasound, and found that she had a rupture on her spleen. The vet thought it was cancerous, so they referred me to a specialist.
She was diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma. It is a fast growing cancer that typically affects the spleen and heart. Unfortunately by the time something is visibly wrong, it is too late. Iria was given a blood transfusion, and a wrap around her abdomen to keep the blood from flowing too fast out of her spleen. This was a temporary solution to allow my little sister time to fly from the east coast to say goodbye.
The blood transfusion really perked Iria up. She was starting to act like her old self. I did some research on the hemangiosarcoma, and there was some anecdotal information that Power Mushrooms and CoQ10 would help give her a better shot at recovery. Unfortunately before I could try anything, she started to do worse. I kept hoping that the bleeding would stop.
Last year on February 20th, I had to put my little girl Iria down. It was the toughest decision in my life. Should I put her down and stop the suffering, or hope she can miraculously recover? During our drive over to the Emergency Pet Clinic, she put her head out the window just like how she use to. She seemed quite perky in the car ride over. I had second thoughts about going through with it, but I knew I had to end her suffering.
One option I was given was to remove her spleen, but there was no guaranteed that the cancer on her heart wouldn't rupture like the one on her spleen. The cancer is very aggressive, and attaches itself to large blood filled organs. I was in the clinic room for over 2 hours deciding. She was with me for 13 years. All through out my college years to get both my degrees. She was always there for me, and the decision to put her down was overwhelming. How DO YOU DECIDE??!?
She helped me get over Tony's death in 2008. She was an excellent running companion, and I miss her greeting me at the door after a tough day at work. I miss her jumping on my bed to go to sleep. Most of all I miss how she would put her nose under my hand to make me pet her.
I miss you my dearest Iria. I miss you so much.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home